In honor of International Women’s Day, I’m posting about a woman who inspires me and who is, in my opinion, one of the best female authors of all time: Mary Shelley.
SO HERE’S A FEW REASONS MARY SHELLEY WAS AWESOME:
- She basically invented the sci-fi genre with her iconic novel, Frankenstein, which is (if you haven’t read it) a thrilling and thought-provoking read.
- Her parents were almost as amazing as her: her mom was Mary Wollstencraft, a writer, philosopher, and active feminist; her dad was forward-thinking philosopher and politician William Godwin.
- She was married to one of the most influential of the romantic poets, Percy Bysshe Shelley (imagine the conversations those two amazing minds must have produced), but even cooler than them being married- she was his editor! So in other words she deserves like 50% of the credit for all the amazing work he produced during their marriage.
- Like most amazing writers, she had a terrible, TERRIBLE life. She was ostracized for becoming pregnant by Percy Shelley out of wedlock, only to suffer the death of their prematurely born daughter. When the two finally married in 1816, they suffered through constant debt, and her husband drowned only six years later, leaving her to raise their son alone. She continued to work as a professional author until her death at age 53 from a brain tumor, and the spent the last decade of her life plagued by illness caused by said tumor.
- She and her hubby once spent the summer with the legendary poet and author, Lord Byron, as well as the lesser-known writer/physician , John William Polidori. Once again, I can’t even imagine what the creative dynamic all those brilliant minds would have produced. I would literally sell my soul to spend some time with that group.
So that’s a little background on this amazing woman. She inspires me, both as a woman, and as a writer.
Post a woman who inspires you in honor of this special day! :)
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY!